December 6th, 2013
Universal Music released these fun factoids about me a week ago. It reads more like “10 Interesting Facts About Dawen”. I’ve translated it for my English readers below.
1. 王大文是製作人阿弟仔在逛youtube時發現的,影片中他頂著大光頭演唱Bruno Mars “Just The Way You Are“。Dawen was discovered on YouTube by Taiwanese music producer Adia, when he came across Dawen’s cover of Bruno Mars’ Just The Way You Are.
2. 王大文回台灣的第一份工作，是在喜歡音樂跟著陳子鴻老師打工實習。When Dawen first moved to Taiwan he spent time training under the auspices of Taiwanese music producer Eric Chen at Enjoy Music Records.
3. 王大文在大學時期就讀芝加哥西北大學，一念五年完成古典音樂以及英文文學雙學位。Dawen went to Northwestern University in Chicago, where he spent five years earning degrees in Music and English Literature.
4. 王大文學生時期在紐約和梅莉史翠普同台演出音樂劇[Mother Courage and Her Children]。Dawen once spent a summer in New York acting in a production of Bertolt Brecht’s Mother Courage starring Meryl Streep.
5. 王大文在美國自己獨立發行一張英文專輯”American Me”，他壓了一千張，但他說：「可能賣不到一半」。Dawen released American Me, an English language album in the US. 1000 discs were pressed but he says, “I didn’t even sell 500 copies”.
6. 王大文在自己的Youtube Channel發表的Rebecca Black “Friday”中文版,獲得百萬點擊以及成為美國當地華語老師的中文教材。Dawen uploaded a Chinese cover of Rebecca Black’s Friday on Youtube, which is currently being used as a teaching tool in Chinese language classrooms across the world.
7. 王大文來台灣寫過江蕙30秒化妝品廣告曲，以及包辦”東門四少”、”愛情女僕”、 “幸福選擇題”、”女王的誕生”、”回到愛以前“等百首以上電視配樂。Since moving to Taiwan Dawen has written music for a Kanebo commercial starring Taiwanese singer Jody Chiang. In addition, Dawen has scored instrumental music for many Taiwanese TV dramas: Food Four, Lady Maid Maid, Second Life, The Queen, and Déjà Vu.
8. 王大文兼職ICRT DJ，主持一個西洋節目”Universal Beats”、 一個古典爵士節目”Starlight Concert Series” 。Dawen currently hosts two radio shows on ICRT: Universal Beats is a Top 40 show, and Starlight Concert, which features classical and jazz recordings.
9. 王大文創作的美麗是偶像劇”回到愛以前”主題曲。Dawen’s second single “Beautiful” is the theme song to TV drama Déjà Vu.
10. 王大文喜歡吃涼麵，超愛台灣人。Dawen loves eating cold noodles, and loves Taiwan.
December 2nd, 2013
我第二波主打「美麗」上了YouTube了。導演是「一頁台北」的Arvin Chen 陳駿霖. 女主角是謝琦琦。
The MV for my second single “Beautiful” is on on YouTube. Arvin Chen, director of Au Revoir Taipei, directed the video, and Kiki Hsieh played the female co-star.
The day of filming, I woke up at 4am. The day before we went down south near Taichung to spend the night. To capture the sunrise, we began filming at 6am sharp and we filmed all the way till sundown, all on location in nearby Chang Hua. Chang Hua’s weather is extremely windy, there were windmills everywhere. The landscape was very beautiful, which seemed appropriate for the video we were filming.
Arvin’s directing style is very naturalistic. Sometimes I wasn’t even aware that we were filming. The result is that the video feels very realistic even though the tone is like that of a fantasy. I dunno, this MV, to me, feels like a 4 minute art film with all the scenic views and film style. . A road trip short.
Kiki was a lot of fun to work with. We chatted all day inside the car during filming. And it didn’t really feel like we were shooting a music video, rather it felt instead like we were taking a 12 hour road trip through the south of Taiwan. In the beginning she pulls up in her car, and for each take she would ask me “Where are you heading?” Each time she asked I would answer a different country. Sometimes it was “England,” sometimes it was “Iceland.” All in all, a very fun day. I hope you guys like it!
November 28th, 2013
Today is Thanksgiving. Man, there’s so much to be thankful for, don’t even know where to start. Sure, the album is done and ready to be released in a few weeks. I’m touring the island with small intimate shows and loving every moment of performing and meeting new people.
But more importantly, I feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude: to my family, my brother Geh, my friends, my supporters who listen to my radio show and music day in and day out. I’m grateful to my company, Universal Music Taiwan; I feel like a part of a new family.
I have been pursuing music for 8 years, struggled independently for so long; it’s hard to believe I will be debuting as a major label artist in just a few weeks. Thank you to everyone who stuck by me throughout. Thank you to all the challenges; without the challenges I might never have known how much I wanted it.
To paraphrase a famous saying: “As there are so many people to whom I owe gratitude, let me thank heaven and thus encompass everyone.”
November 16th, 2013
歡迎大家來看我第一部MV 「你好」! 我哥哥George（王大元）特別從洛杉磯飛來幫我寫腳本跟拍片。這對我來說非常有意義因為我哥哥最早支持我。三年前他在YouTube幫我拍了一個影片。那影片就是我翻唱的Bruno Mars － Just The Way You Are. 是因為這個影片所以我後來簽約到環球唱片公司。
差一點忘記特別感謝一些人：導演阿寬跟我朋友RPG. 還想謝謝這一群人，美國的LEP, KUMA兄弟，跟所有幫忙的藝術人。
The music video for my debut single, “Hello” is finally here! My brother Geh wrote the script and flew all the way from LA to produce the video. It’s especially meaningful since my brother has been my biggest supporter ever since I started pursuing music. Three years ago he helped me film an epic YouTube cover of Bruno Mars’ Just The Way You Are. Later on, it was through that video that I was discovered online and subsequently signed to Universal Music Taiwan.
Filming the music video had plenty of challenges. For one, the weather was pretty rough the first day, with steady rain and muggy weather. With a tight schedule and many different locations, outside and inside, delays were inevitable and we were constantly afraid of losing light. In the end, everyone worked super hard to complete the shoot. So I hope you enjoy watching it! This song is my love letter to Taipei and Taiwan in the larger sense. It represents how I feel towards my new home.
On top of that, the album’s almost done and I can’t wait to hit the road!
Oh, almost forgot to give a shout out to some important folks: the MV director A-Kuan, RPG, This Group of People, the LEP, and the Kuma Brothers. You guys are amazing.
November 12th, 2013
Woo! So the month of October flew by and it’s already mid-November. Barely had time to catch my breath but I’m happy to announce that my album is almost done! The teaser lyric video for my lead single “Ni Hao” (Hello) is on YouTube as of yesterday! Special thanks to Todd and Joe @ KumaKuma films for filming the teaser. Go check out their channel, it’s good stuff.
Up next, will be the official music video for ‘NiHao’. Universal invited my brother George to produce my music video and I can’t wait for you to see the finished product!